Home » Property Services » Certificates

Basic Certificates

In accordance with current legislation it is necessary to obtain certain certificates in order to let property. The type and occupancy of a property determines the certificates required. Information on some of the more common certificates can be found here together with links to other sites and sources of information. Please note, this is not a complete list of requirements.

The information displayed here is for information only and such certification and other regulation is subject to change at any time and without notice. It remains the responsibility of the landlord to ensure their property meets all current legislation. These notes are offered as a general guide only and do not constitute legal or financial advice. Further information on landlord responsibilities can be found here;



Gas Safety Certificate

All gas appliances and installations must be checked annually and found to be safe by a Gas Safe Registered engineer and a Gas Safety Certificate issued. For Gas safety FAQs, see



Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)

All rental properties with a new tenancy in England and Wales are required by law to have an Energy Performance Certificate, while an EPC is not required when just renting a room with shared facilities. EPC’s are valid for ten years for rental properties.




Electrical Safety Certificates

The Wiring Regulations, BS7671, demand that any electrical installation, whether it is residential, commercial or industrial, requires a periodic inspection report every 1-10 years depending on the type of property. See


Part P (Electrical Safety)

Since 1st January 2005 all electrical work in dwellings needs to comply with Building Regulations Part P requirements and can only be carried out by persons who are competent to design and undertake the work.


Periodic Inspection Reports (PIR’s) (Electrical Safety)

A Periodic Inspection Report (PIR), is used to identify any problems or non-compliances with your electrical installation within BS7671 wiring regulations. Failure to ensure that the premises are electrically safe may invalidate the buildings insurance and put the occupier of the premises at risk from electric shock or electrical fire.


Electrical Installation Certificate (Electrical Safety)

Upon completion of any electrical work in any type of building an Electrical Installation certificate is required.


Minor Works Certificate (Electrical Safety)

Upon completion of any small electrical work in any type of building a Minor Works Certificate is required.


Portable Appliance Testing (PAT)

Portable Appliance Testing is a process by which portable electrical appliances are inspected and tested to see if they are safe. This type of testing is not required for domestic use, more commercial and industrial purposes. PAT testing and certification is valid for 12 months.



student accommodation